Krini is a local compartment at Gythion Municipality. It consists of the villages Krini, Arvaniti and Sminos. It is in the middle of the alpine area of the Municipality and covers an area of 3,800,000m2. The 2,600,000m2 are cultivated areas and the rest is pastoral land. The population was 343 residents in 1940, 294 in 1951, 238 in 1961, 142 in 1971, 166 in 1981, 133 in 1991 and 132 in 2001.
Turning on the central road Gythion-Sparta and following the narrow road that goes through the olive groves and the green lands, we cross the bridge over the waters of river Smynos and after a while we arrive at Krini village. Judging with the amateur’s look, we become aware of the old architecture of the village, which is also applied to the new constructions. However, the heavy stones of the past become lighter in the houses of the present; some houses are plastered, but the stone is still present. All of them have tiled roofs.
In the central square, there is the church Agia Triada (Holy Trinity), whereas a little bit higher there is Pentikosti (Pentecost) church.
The Cultural Association of the village is very active in issues of cultural and local interest. Now, they are constructing the place that will house their activities.
The area is watered by Agia Marina springs. The main occupation of the villagers is olive cultivation and cattle breeding.
The image of the village is constantly changing. They put asphalt on the roads, they renovate and build new constructions and new houses that will be either used as permanent residencies or just for holidays.
People come back to their roots and family houses to rest and live in the relaxing rhythms of the place. The young people are only a few, since the perspectives for new jobs are limited. There is an absolute serenity in the village that is only disturbed by the voice of the sellers. Friendly talking, greetings and names are heard. Friends meet to do their shopping and then everything is quiet again.
The absence of tourist infrastructure keeps the village out of the list of destinations for tourists. Nevertheless, people that originate from the area and have immigrated to other places for a better future, come back to visit their birthplace.
Wandering through the lanes of the village and the paths around it, we feel euphoria and wholeness. The visitor doesn’t come here to discover the archaeological places, the historic monasteries or museums, but to enjoy contact with nature and to take a fresh breath and a short break from the intense rhythms of urban life.
The images of a fading Greece by time and the demands of the modern way of life are still visible there. The area hasn’t gone to the hands of developmentalists and so it still maintains its cleanness and quietness.