Αρχείο κατηγορίας εφημερίδα

Η κοπή πρωτοχρονιάτικης πίτας του Συλλόγου Μανιατών Καλαμάτας.

Το Σάββατο 20 Ιανουαρίου ο Σύλλογος Μανιατών Καλαμάτας τίμησε τη Μαρίζα Κωχ για την προσφορά της στη μουσική και την αγάπη της για τη Μάνη, κατά τη διάρκεια της εκδήλωσης για την κοπή της βασιλόπιτας στην αίθουσα εκδηλώσεων «Περρωτή».

Τη μουσική παρουσία της Μαρίζας Κωχ πλαισίωσαν οι μουσικοί Μιχάλης Νικόπουλος (μπουζούκι και λαούτο) και Κατερίνα Κυρμιζή (κιθάρα και τραγούδι). Συμμετείχαν μαζί της, σ’ ένα παιδικό πρόγραμμα, και τα παιδιά που παρευρέθηκαν στην εκδήλωση.

Ακολούθησε γλέντι μέχρι τις πρωινές ώρες ενώ τυχερή της βραδιάς αναδείχτηκε η κ. Αθηνά Ξανθάκη (Πρόεδρος του Πολιτιστικού Συλλόγου Γυναικών Μάνης), στην οποία έτυχε το φλουρί από την πρωτοχρονιάτικη πίτα, κερδίζοντας έναν πίνακα του ζωγράφου κ. Τζαμουράνη, προσφορά του Συλλόγου.

Παρευρέθηκαν οι βουλευτές Γιώτα Κοζομπόλη και Δημήτρης Κουκούτσης, εκπρόσωπος του Δημάρχου Καλαμάτας Παναγιώτη Νίκα, περιφερειακοί και δημοτικοί σύμβουλοι, πολιτιστικοί σύλλογοι και πλήθος κόσμου.

ΧΡΗΣΤΟΣ ΜΑΡΙΝΕΑΣ

Χάσαμε ένα πρόσωπο – υπόδειγμα αγωνιστικής διάθεσης για ζωή και απόκτηση γνώσεων. Έναν άνθρωπο που είχε καταφέρει τη σωματική μειονεξία να την εξισορροπήσει με ολοκληρωμένη διανοητική  ανάπτυξη. Η ζωή του ήταν διαρκής πάλη για τη διαχείριση των εμπλοκών στην κινητικότητά του,  με την  προμήθεια σύγχρονων και πρωτότυπων μέσων μετακίνησης. Η πάλη αυτή τον έβγαζε νικητή για πολλές δεκαετίες. Έτσι μπορούσε να προωθεί και τις πνευματικές του ανησυχίες, εκείνες για τις οποίες χρειαζόταν αναζήτηση και έρευνα εκτός σπιτιού. Το αναφέρω αυτό γιατί το σπίτι του ήταν ένα σύγχρονο εργαστήρι συνδέσεων στο διαδίκτυο, εφοδιασμένο με σύγχρονους υπολογιστές, εκτυπωτές, σκάνερ, ψηφιοποιητές φωτογραφικών αρχείων και όλα τα άλλα απαραίτητα ηλεκτρονικά εξαρτήματα.

Το Χρήστο το γνώρισα το 1998. Με επισκέφθηκε και μου ανέφερε ότι συμπαρατάσσεται στην προσπάθειά μας να επεκτείνομε την αλληλεγγύη σε όσο το δυνατό περισσότερους συμπατριώτες μας. Όπως επίσης και στην προσπάθειά μας  να αναζητάμε διαρκώς τρόπους  προώθησης μηνυμάτων πολιτισμού και ειρηνικών διευθετήσεων σε όλες τις εμπλοκές που παρουσιάζονται μεταξύ των μελών των μικρών μανιάτικων κοινωνιών. Σ` αυτές τις ιδέες είχε την πλήρη συμπαράσταση και σύμπραξη της συζύγου του Παναγιώτας Παπακώστα που στεκόταν δίπλα του, στις ανάγκες της καθημερινότητας και στην προώθηση των ιδεών του, για πολλά χρόνια από τότε που τη γνώρισε.

Από τότε τα χρόνια κυλούσαν με συναντήσεις, αραιές αλλά πάντοτε συναισθηματικές, και τηλεφωνικές επικοινωνίες, μέσω των οποίων με ενημέρωνε για τις αναζητήσεις και έρευνές  του στον τομέα του πολιτισμού. Πρώτος αυτός, πριν από δέκα χρόνια με ενημέρωσε για τις εκτεταμένες ψηφιοποιήσεις παλαιών βιβλίων, που είχαν πραγματοποιήσει πολλά ανώτατα εκπαιδευτικά ιδρύματα, και τη δυνατότητά του για  πρόσβαση σ` αυτά και το «κατέβασμά» τους από το διαδίκτυο μέσω κωδικών αριθμών που του είχαν παραχωρηθεί. Με ενημέρωνε επίσης τακτικά, για τα αποκτήματα σπάνιων βιβλίων, που κατάφερνε να τα αγοράζει σε διενεργούμενες δημοπρασίες. Φιλοδοξούσε να δημιουργήσομε, μέσω της «Μανιάτικης Αλληλεγγύης», ένα κέντρο πολιτισμού στην περιοχή μας, με βιβλιοθήκη έντυπων και ψηφιοποιημένων εκδόσεων που θα είχε βάση τα βιβλία του, ώστε να γίνουν προσιτά, έντυπα βιβλία και ψηφιακά αρχεία, στους ενδιαφερόμενους πολίτες της περιοχής μας, ιδιαίτερα στους νέους.

Μιλήσαμε, για τελευταία φορά, τα Χριστούγεννα και επαναλάβαμε όλες αυτές τις φιλόδοξες σκέψεις. Συμφωνήσαμε, μάλιστα, να συναντηθούμε σύντομα για να τις ταξινομήσομε και να τους δώσομε και χρονοδιάγραμμα εξέλιξης. Δυστυχώς, ήλθε το φρικτό του τέλος για να ανασχέσει αυτή την προοπτική. Όμως, οι ιδέες που είχε ο Χρήστος και η έμμονη προσπάθειά του για την υλοποίησή τους στην πράξη,  ωθούν, όσους τις ενστερνιζόμαστε, να τις  προχωρήσομε στο μέτρο του αντικειμενικά εφικτού. Εξ` άλλου, τα μηνύματα για ειρηνικά έργα και έργα πολιτισμού, που προωθούσε πρώτος στη Μάνη της σύγχρονης περιόδου ο Νικήτας Νηφάκης πριν από δύο αιώνες, αποτελούν το μόνο τρόπο διατήρησης των ιδιαίτερων χαρακτηριστικών της περιοχής μας στον αιώνα της παγκοσμιοποίησης που προχωρά με γρήγορους και αφομοιωτικούς ρυθμούς. Όσο προωθούμε αυτά τα έργα, είμαι βέβαιος ότι το ανήσυχο πνεύμα του Χρήστου θα εφησυχάζει και θα ηρεμεί.

Νίκος Ευστρ. Μαραμπέας

DRYMOS (DRYALI)

Upon the rapid slopes of Saggia (next to Taygetos) at a natural balcony over the Lakonian Bay, at the Prosiliaki (Sunny) Inner Mani, there is the picturesque village Drymos or Dryali. Its location is really marvelous!

Today, Drymos is a Municipal District of the Eastern Municipality of Mani. At this municipality belong tower-village Argylias and the settlements Konitsi, Agios Tryfon, Lagadaki. Here, at the rocky coast, the residents of Drymos use to swim. The name of the village comes probably from the word Dryos (oak). At the west side of the village there is a forest with oaks. Up from the village you can see the old village, Palaiohori which is an old ruined settlement of Mani, with ruined towers, churches (of the 13ed century, etc.) and many fountains.  According the tradition, at Palaiohori there was the first location of Drymos. That is a tradition which verifies the history of Mani, saying that the old settlements were built upon the mountains because of the pirates. The new village is built recently.

At Palaiohori, there was the old family of Tsilibourdianon that died out. The settlement now belongs to the families of Drymos. We will mention that there is reference to the village Drymos since 1618 (during the negotiations between the Duke of Never and the Maniates).

During the years 1944 – 49, Drymos was depilated of its residents as the old ΤvendettaΥ stirred the blood and one killed the other. The famous captain of EL.AS. Sfakianos (G. Aretakis, from Crete) was killed the village Vagiokladο. They named this village Vagioklado because there are many Vagia (nurse) at the area. The newly-weds or these who want to get married, come here on the mules or donkeys according the tradition.

There are many churches   at Drymos (some of them with very old wall-paintings). The big church of the village is Sotiras where there are wall-painting dated since 1878 and a famous bell-tower made by Vasilakos. Most of the churches belong to the families. The big families of the village are: Tzeferakos, Horikis, Ladakakos, Lekkakos, (coming from a big family of Flomohori) Lambrinakos, Karkalis, Bazakos, (Sotiris Bazakos was the President of the village for years), Tsirigotis (this family came from Tsirigo – Kythira). The Mayor of Eastern Mani Mr. Panagiotis Tsirigotis is member of this family.

In our days there are only 30 residents at Drymos, but during the summer the ΤemigratedΥ who love their village come back here. In Athens, they have found a very active association Metamorphose of Sotiras and they contribute a lot to the embellishing of the village. The council of the association is managed by young persons (President is Mr. Stavros Bazakos, Police Officer). They organize a traditional feast on 6 August every year.

There was a primary School at Drymos, 20 years ago. Today they have to go to Flomohori. The most important problem of the village is the water supply. They are still watering by the tanks of the rain-water.  There are also some problems with the road.

Finally, I would like to say that, if someone comes at the Inner Mani, it deserves to make a round and visit the two village Drymos and Agrilia, where he can enjoy his coffee at the traditional Kafenio of Mihali Tzeferakou and Eleni Bazakou.

  1. P. Dimakogiannis

TRAHILA

Trahila is a region with many caves. The village is built over the caves. The residents love deeply their motherland. There is a Cultural Association of Trahiliotes very active with many young people as members, who make efforts for the development of the standard of living and the cultural level of the residents. For example, they restored the Old Primary School (of 19th century) by their own means and it became the cultural center of the village. During the summer, every year, they organize manifestations keeping the local and religious traditions.

At the census of Mars 2001, there were 175 registered at the Municipal Department of Trahila.

The main road connecting the village to the other Municipal departments of the Municipality of Lefktron was opened up on in the early Τ70.

Before that, there was only the maritime way of transport or the rural pathways, connecting the villages between them.

The reconstruction of the village begun after the road opening up, because   the access to the village was easier. Some new house was built up and some old ones were restored. But the road is still dangerous. The rocks are ΤhangedΥ over the road putting in danger the life of the travelers. Some recent interventions were not very important.  On the contrary, the danger is bigger now because of the explosive materials that provoked new cracks in the rocks. So when it is raining, big pieces of rocks can be detached and fall on the passing cars.

In the ΤinformativeΥ brochure of the Municipality of Lefktron (as it is self-called) in the issue of February 2001, there is an article under the title Τannual report of the year 2000Υ referring that there was a budget of 90.000.000dr. For the improvement of the road   Agios Nikolaos – Agios Dimitrios – Trahila. In the issue of April, where there is the technical program of the year 2001 of the Municipality, for this same road there is a budget of 40.000.000 dr.  There is a reduction of 50.000.000dr. We must notice that now the year 2001 is ending and the works neither have nor even started.

As we have already mentioned, there many caves at the region. During the winter months, when there is heavy sea, it soaks into the caves which are under the coastal road causing subsoil erosion, and there danger for the houses to fell down, especially at the region Argyreika. The residents addressed to the Municipal and Prefectural authorities several times exposing their problem but without any result. The one transfer the problem to the other.

Another serious problem for the residents during the winter time is the lack of medical care during the week-end because the rural doctors are not on duty the week -ends in our region.

When the problems are not faced seriously and effectively, the consequence is the dissertation of the villages, and that has repercussions on all of us.

ANTONIS  ROUMANEAS

SKOUTARI

Skoutari is an extremely beautiful historical settlement  of the Eastern Mani.  Now it belongs to the Municipal Department of Municipality of Gythion.

It is said that its name comes from the Latin word scutum which means ΤshieldΥ, as it was protecting the bay because of its place. Some others say that it was so named by the residents who came from Skoutari opposite to Konstantinoupolis.

An historical research referring to the area, says that here there were two towns: Asini and Vordoni mentioned by Stravonas too. It is possible that these two towns were sunk by the big earthquake of the coastal zone of Mani on the 4th century A.D.

The foundation of the new village Skoutari is up to the 18th century. That time the area is under the dominance of Grigorakis great family. The foreign travelers make reference to the   village as an important   export port and as a refuge of corsairs and pirates.

The Byzantine temple of Agia Barbara (of 12th century) proves the human existence permanently at this picturesque golf of Skoutari. Some other churches of the village, most of them belong to the families, are Agios Spyridon, Ai Giannis Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist), Agia Triada (Holly Trinity), the central church of Virgin Maria. A very impressive characteristic of the village is the churches which are adjacent: Agios Haralabos & Ai Dimitris, Agios Nikolas & Ag. Stylianos, Ai Giannis & Agia Paraskevi, etc.!

Skoutari became famous because of two recent events: the first is the Paliopyrgos [the Old-tower] – there took place the sacrifice of Kalkandides on 1770, from the Turkish -Albanian hordes of Hatzi – Osman. The impressive ruins of the tower in the center of the village prove that here took place an important battle against the hordes, the brave resistance of Maniates.

Here is also an important place of the recent history of our country. The sacrifice of Kalkanides from Skoutari, is the first holocaust of the Greek people during the Turkish occupation (then there are Kougi – Souli (1803), Messologi (1826), Arkadi (1866) etc.). Here is the motherland of Sotiris Stavrianakos who was killed fighting against the Turks invaders in Cyprus, on 1974. His widow, Maria Stratakou, coming from Skoutari too, was never married again, honoring the memory of our Hero with their two daughters.

There is a very active Cultural Association of Skoutari Bordona (President is Potis Kopsaheilakos, Vise-President is Grig. Kavoulakos, G. Secretary Geor. Ladakakos, treasurer is Chr. Petsiniagas). This time they collect money and the goal is to honor the hero Sotiris Stavrianakos at the village where he was born (we must notice that the camp of EL-DY-K in Cyprus is named ΤCamp of Captain Sotirios Stavrianakos). For further information you can call at the tel. 53.17.619, 82.28.050 and the fax is 59.85.326.

The Association organize manifestations, every year in August and there are swimming and games, boat-torch races, book – painting and photo exhibition, etc. These days they are restoring the traditional source Kampouri and that will cost 1, 5 million drachmas!

Skoutari has the privilege to have a very active representative, municipal counselor elected at the Municipality of Gythion and he tries to satisfy the most important demands of the village: the electrically lit street to the beach (1 km), widening and asphalt covering from the cross road Agios Konstantinos to the village (6, 5 Km), reparation of the road to Kotronas, cleaning of the three gullies to the sea, a police station during the summer, etc.

Finally, we must note that Skoutari and the villages around it are an attractive point for the Greek and foreign tourists in summer.  The village is under a continues development.

There is also a Primary School with one teacher and a rural Medical Centre.

Georgios P. Dimakogiannis

KALIANEIKA

SITUATION – HISTORY – MONUMENTS:

Kalianeika is a settle-mint in the municipal district of Doli, 20 km from Kalamata. There are two routes from Kalamata to Doli: Kalamata – Stavropigio – Doli, and Kalamata – Kitries – Doli.

Its name is derived from the family Kalian, the first people to come and settle in the area. Later they emigrated, but many years afterwards they returned. It is one of the new settle-mints in Mani, probably built during the 19th century. From an encyclopedia we found that in 1928 there were about 115 residents, a school, and that they produced figs, olive oil and wine of excellent quality.

In Kalianeika there are some important monuments such as the church of Agios Nikolaos (13th -14th century) recently restored, and the historical monastery Prophet Elias, which belongs to the Rousakis family. The church of Zoodohos Pigi (Source of Life) in the central square of the village has its celebration  on the Friday after Easter, when there is a festival organized by the Church Council and  the Cultural Association of the village, which is attended by many people.

Also in the area there is a cave. 25 years after the first exploration, 3 speleologists Apostolos Tseklkenis, Yiannis Kofinas and Georgios Makris, entered the cave and discovered its wonderful works of nature.  Apostol’s Tseklenis said: You have to see it to believe how magnificent it really is!  It is so rich in wonderful features.Υ its ex-plantation and development is difficult because of the situation of the cave (the entrance now is from a precipice 24 m above). Special studies will be under-taken by the scientists relating to the geology of the ground, seismological and geotechnical conditions of the area, for the final evaluation of caveΥs future development. The related studies will include architecture, static strength, electro mechanics and lighting.

There is much interest from the Municipality of Avia and the residents, politicians, businessmen and the people of the church who care for the development of the cave. This cave will be a point of interest which will further develop the whole area.

Population and occupations: at the last census (March 2001), there were 86 residents. Their main occupations are olive growing and cattle breeding. The production of carob beans is important, too, as they use them to feed the animals.

Transport – road construction – rural roads.

There is a bus once a week to and from Kalamata. The central road connecting the area to Kalamata is narrow, necessitating much care and concentration on the part of drivers. Soon, work will begin to asphalt the Santava – Kitries – Kalianeika, at a cost of 73.000.000dr. The existing roads do connect the rural areas but they still need to be cleaned and maintained.

Water supply:  the water supply is from the springs of Pidima. Normally, there is sufficient water, although there are a few problems in August because of tourism.  The extension of the water supply network, completed by the Association of Water Supply of Kalamata – Messini and its surroundings in 2000, means that there is now water to all the houses in the area.

We want to thank Mr Elia Giannea, President of the Local Council of Doli for the information and for his conducted tour of the area.

Antonis Roumaneas

PROASTIO

LOCATION Π HISTORY ΠMONUMENTS

It is located at 220 Π 240 m high at the western side of Taygetos Mountain, with a panoramic view supervising Messinian Bay.

It is at a distance of 4km from the central road Kalamata Π Areopolis. Its name Proastio or Prasteio is due to the words Proastia or Prasteia. They were so called the piece of land offered form the Emperor of Byzantine to the army officers of the Empire. This region was offered to house of nobles of Melissinon, on 1435, a few years before the end of the Empire. Today, there is no one rest from  that family at Proastio. Possibly they went to Italy or they changed their name to ΤRoussosΥ because of their hair colour which was red / Rousse and the region is called Rousseas, and that replaced the name Melissinos. During the Turkish domination, Proastio was the most important centre of the revolutionaries. On 1670, the Turkish burned the village and a great number of the residents went abroad.

Great number of the residents went abroad, to South Italy, at Taranto.

There many references to Proastio in the historical researches.

The historian K.N. Stathas quotes:

During the Turkish occupation in Greece, Petros Medikos, an important personality coming from Proastio In this same work, he refers that when Maniates called for help Duke Never, Nikitas Melissinos represented the village, called Tavoularis of Hora Proastio.

In his work Monuments of the Greek History he mentions Proastio as one of the heroic military place, which always resisted to the enemy. In the ΤLibrary of MediaevalΥ is mentioned in the captaincy of Androuvista during the second part of 15th century, there were three regions inhabited. One of them was Proastio. The French historian Buchon, informs us that during the 16th century there were 8 villages in Androuvista area. One of them was Proastio.

In the registry book of the Metropolis of Monemvasia and Kalamata, is written that on June 27, 1743, at the cherish of Faneromeni at Proastio they elected the Bishop of Milea. The act is signed by the Bishop of Zarnata Grigorios and of Proastio Gerasimos.

Mr. Thomas Parnell, Consul of Holland in Patras, has visited the region on 1817 and in his report he says that Proastio was the most important of Kardamilis villages.

Proastio is like an open museum.  From its 250-300 buildings, there are 50 and more churches saved, of monastery, parish or belonging to families. This proves the great faith of the residents. Some of them are in a good condition but the others are almost in ruins.

Agii Theodori is the first church built from Melissinous. There is also Agii Theodori, Agios Nikolaos etc. there some efforts to restore these churches by the Municipality. Proastio was the Episcopal see, but we do not know until when.

There were some famous painters at the region too whose names we found at the church codes. Some of them are: Nikolaos Nomitzis, Anagnostis Selemperdakis, Anagnostis Kakaletrakis, Anagnostis kalliergakis, Georgios Mihaleas, Dionysios Xarhakos, and Ilias Hatzeas. In almost all the churches of Mani there are portative icons and wall painted too.

A lot of them are ruined and despoiled. Let’s save as much as we can now.

In our days, Proastio occupies 50.000m2.

Melisini, Mediki, Skoubli, Pourgalei, Troupiani, Guioulei, were some of the well-known families of Proastio.

The Bishop of Maini Neofytos, uncle of the Bishop of Oitylo Prokopiou Guioulea, Lyberios Athinakis (his heirs are named Lybereas) were apostles of the Filiki Heteria.  Proastio contribute to the Revolution.

Some of the heroes were:

  1. Perdikeas Jannis, 2. Botseas Dimitrios, 3. Pourgaleas Dimitrios, 4. Maraveleas Georgios, 5. Pepeas Petros, 6. Balahtaris Dimitrios, 7. Kombiliris Dimitrios, 8. Xepapadeas Panagiotis, 9. Giannakeas Anagnostis, 10. Tzamareteas Georgios, 11. Bourdoubeas Ioannis, 12. Giannakeas Theodoros, 13. Maraveleas Stratis, 14. Karabateas Panagiotis, 15. Dimitrouleas Thomas.

After the deliberation of the nation, Proastio was the siege of the Municipality and the first Mayor was Panagiotis Patriarheas (1836). The Municipality was until 1840 and some of the villages were Saidona, Lakkos and Petrovouni. Then it was incorporated to Kardamili Municipality. On 1914 the municipality was annulled and the bigger villages became communities. Proastio and Lakkos were autonomy communities   until 1998 and then became Municipal Departments of the Municipality of Lefktron.

POPULATION Π OCCUPATION:

There are 469 residents in Proastio. Their main occupation is the olive grove and the cattle breeding. During the summer time, the tourism at the coastal zone.

ROAD CONSTRUCTION Π ORDERS OF THE SETTLEMENT.

The roads had to be maintained. Specially the regional road. The settlement is a new one but is developing without any urban planning. It has to be an urban intervention before it will be too late.

WATER SUPPLY Π DRAINAGE.

There is enough water in the region. But there is a problem of water deficiency during the summer. The water main is very old. It has been constructed 30 years ago.

There is not drain installation. There are only some tanks and the wastes go out to the road.

CULTURE Π EDUCATION

LAGIA

Lagia is not only a traditional village of our region. Everyone who strolls around the narrow streets will understand the glory of the ancient times. With its towers and tower-houses, Lagia, at Inner Mani, was the center of the region of Tainaron.

There was the See of the Episcopacy and of the Municipality of Lagia (one of the 10 municipalities of Mani. Its emblem was the mythical Cerberus.

The organization of the traditional society in Lagia, as in the whole Mani, was in families (clan). Each one had its own tower, its buildings around, its church, and the great one had their own cemetery! The vendetta was something usual. Its characteristic is the big number of churches, written down per family:

Agia Barbara – Bougiouklakis

Agios Haralabos  – Despotisms

Agios Stylianos – Vavoulogiannis

Agios Ioannis – Papadogiorgis

Agios Nikolaos – Kalogerogiannis

Agia Faneromeni – Kalogerogiannis

Agia Triada – Vasilakeas

Agia Stavrosis –  Goulielmos

Agios Zaharias – Giannakodimas

Agios Konstantinos – Kouzigiannis

Agia Kyriaki – Bedrests

Agios Georgios – Galakos

Agios Nikolaos – Koutsilaios

Agios Dimitrios – Dekoulakos

Agios Spiridon – Giatrakos

Agios Grigorios – Petrounias

Agios Nikolaos – Ritsos

Agios Efstratios – Koutsilieris

Evangelistria – Georgariou

Agios Ioannis – Vougiouklakis

Agios Vasilios – Kalogerogiannis

Agios Efstratios – Gonellas

Agios Nikolaos – Tourlaftis

Apart these church there some others too: Agia Pelagia, Agiathekli, Aϊ Lemas, Aϊ Thanasis, Agia Triada and Agios Sotiras.

The village appears at the ancient times too. The karneatiki scripture indicates that the village was inhabited during the roman times. We also find it on 1570 at the Exhibition of Bardo (there, there is reference to many churches).

In Lagia, there are very old towers (as there are in Kita), the charectistics kolouri towers of Giannogona, Mavrokordatos, etc.

In the newest times Lagia is deserted. Today there is the ΤshadowΥ of the ancient glorious Lagia, without schools, without children. There are only few residents. In the summer time a lot of tourists visit the village and the settlements around Piontes, Korogonianika, Kainourgia Hora, Dimaristika, Kypriano, etc. That time there is the great problem of watering. The water supply of the region is the same since the Homers times!!! That means, from the water-tanks for rain water…..   Although here is the mother land of many important men (B. Mihaloliakos, Th. Kasimis, Elias Bougiouklakis, etc.)

Lagia is proud of the intellectuals and the artists who come from here. We make reference to  the historian – philosopher Anargyros Koutsilieris (writer of the History of Mani etc.), the graver P. Georgariou, the famous actress Aliki Vougiouklaki, the professor Elias Dekoulakos, …   the footballer M. Galakos.

Finally, here is the origin of Mih. Nikolarakos, the first elected Mayor of Mani and the last hero of Greece, Panagiotis Vlahakos (Imia Island 1996)

G.P.Dimakogiannis

EXO NYFI (OUT NYFI)

Exo Nyfi,  Eastern Inner Mani, is not a village but a number of settlements – mesa Hora (the older one), Exo Nyfi, Atsoupi, Vigla, Alypa (with a natural wonderful port), Gialos, and Kournos –  some houses close to the spring, the Convent of Virgin Mary up the mountain!

Here, close to Krounos, it is said that there was the ancient town Aigila, today known as Kionia or ΤRoyal StonesΥ mentioned by Pafsanias (Messiniaka IV 17, 7). The ruins of the ancient temple, the pillars, prove the existence of the sanctum, discovered on 1843 by the archeological expedition of Phillipe Le Bas.  This sanctum was studied and then presented by the archeologist Lida Moschou – Tsiomi and the architect P. N. Moschos. The research continues, and as the two scientists says, these were two Dorian Temples (period of Octavianos August or Tiverios – BΥ part of the 2ed century B.C.).

In the area, there are many monuments – fortresses, buildings, cemeteries, steles, status bases, parts, limbs from sculptures, water tanks, representations on the rocks, aqueduct, quarry, etc. All these were well known by the German-Juices illicit dealers in antiquities, who, some months ago, were arrested Τin place at Kiona.

Nyfi, -Municipal Department of the eastern Mani Municipality – it is said that it took its name thanks to the great number of trees and bushes which surrounds it (olive trees, oak-trees, and others), like the flowers around the bride (Nyfi = bride in Greek). All the settlements around Nyfi keep this local color: the owners and the heirs attend and maintain with respect and love the towers and tower-houses. The visitor can visit all these tower-villages / eagle-villages perched on the mountainside of Sagia of Taygetos Mountain. The tower of Ventikou, Bourikou – Lekakou, etc. Those families dominated the region and there were the protagonists of the family squabbles and Vendetta.

The visitor can enjoy the two seashores of Nyfi, Gialos and Alipa. At the seaside of Gialos, a new traditional hotel is under construction (which belongs to D. Manolakos) so the tourists will have the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful beach. At Alipa, a fantastic small and natural port, where John Kassavetis shoot the film ΤTempestΥ with famous actors during the Τ80 decade.  The nautical tradition of the village is important. There was a connecting line from this port to Piraeus, as that time   there was not any other road and access to Mani (Birakou, Glezakou, and other families)

Nyfi and Nifiates are known for the anecdotes, satires and the legends. These clever people invented stories α themselves!

I will make reference to the churches of the village:  apart the Monastery of Virgin Maria at Kourno (Byzantine  monument), where there is a fair on 15th August, there are some other old and recent churches: Ai-Giorgis, Ai-Lias, Agia-Kyriaki, Agia katerini, Agia Barbara, Agios Sostis, Agios Petros, and the new ones: Sotiras at Gialo, Ai-Dimitris, and others.

In our days, at Exo Nyfi there are roads with cement and cobbled roads which connect the settlements. Most of them were constructed when Kyriakos Hristodoulakis was the President of the ancient Community. The main problem is always the water deficiency and the water-supply. We wish this problem to be solved soon.

There are two wonderful tower-houses which belong to our compatriots: one belongs to the Admiral Ioanni Koufogianni, President of the Pan-Hellenic Club of Maniates ΤSolidarityΥ (in Athens) and now Director of the political bureau of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs G. Papandreou. The other belongs to Gianni Mavroidakou, professor of philology, who lives in Paris with his French wife. There he owns the famous edition house and bookshop ΤDESMOSΥ for 20 years! There is a point of reference for the Greek residents in France and the friend of Greece too.

  1. Dimakogiannis